Amani ya Juu is a proud member of the Fair Trade Federation, which defines fair trade as follows:
“Fair trade is an approach to business and to development based on dialogue, transparency, and respect that seeks to create greater equity in the international trading system.”
For a more in-depth definition of fair trade, please visit Fair Trade Federation’s website. At Amani ya Juu, we strive to move beyond fair trade. As a holistic ministry of peace-building, Amani ya Juu views fair trade as much more than just equitable business practices.
- Earning a living wage that enables women to provide health care, education and a safe living environment for their families
- Striving for sustainability; not donor-dependent
- Promoting peace and reconciliation, both in the workplace and the community
- Providing an emergency fund for unexpected crisis
- Creating a holistic environment where women are cared for, and, care for one another
- Valuing local cultures and traditions, incorporating them into the philosophy and social environment of Amani
- Using local materials to support the local economy and bring global appreciation of African art
- Accommodating work schedules to the needs and realities of women
Our practice of “Beyond Fair Trade” empowers and equips women to live with dignity, purpose and peace.